ABOUT THE PROJECT
Specific Learning Disabilities affect about 15 % of the general population. Unfortunately, teachers are scarcely aware of the impact of such disabilities on school life. Additionally, families are unprepared to cope with the specific needs and obstacles of their children with SLD.
The support system is different in each country of the EU but all share similar challenges with a lack of open and reliable resources for the general public. For example: online training about dyslexia is hardly accessible and only in English.
To provide a better answer to that problematic reality, we have created the project “MOOC Dys”, an international and multilingual MOOC.
ITS 1ST EDITION CONDUCTED
IN 2018 - 2019 HAS PROVIDED:
- online training for teachers
- reliable information on how to cope with daily life and overcome school obstacles
- free and usable resources for families and teachers
- space for expression for all involved
- testimony of coping strategies
WE HAVE ATTRACTED
12.373 USERS IN 3 CATEGORIES:
- parents of children and teenagers with SLD
- teachers and professionals who work with students with SLD
- paramedical professionals (speech therapists, occupation therapists, etc.)
LONG TERM IMPACT OF THE PROJECT
ON THE LEARNERS:
- The participants who have used and who will use the online and on-site tools will be able to better support the learning process of pupils with SLD, at home and in the classroom;
- the provided material delivered under the Creative Commons Licence 4.0, allows for anyone to use and modify the content according to their specific needs;
- the learners have and will continue to disseminate their acquired knowledge in their own environment and network, even years after the MOOC, thanks to the materials on the website;
- participating in the discussion on the multilingual MOOC forum allowed learners to create a sense of community and mutual support while sharing their experiences with SLD and their methods to cope with the challenges.